The Circulation(s) festival was launched by Fetart, an association created in 2005 that promotes young photographers. About 50 volunteers are gathered around Fetart and the Circulation(s) festival.
Their dynamism and team spirit unveil another face of contemporary art and bring a real dialogue with the public. Both open to all and rigorous, the Circulation(s) festival is about professionalism and passion.
A UNIQUE, ORIGINAL AND AMBITIOUS PROJECT
The Circulation(s) festival is dedicated to the European photographic diversity and aims at discovering new talents. Since it has been created in 2011, Circulation(s) has exposed more than 382 artists, and gathered about 266 000 visitors. Both a springboard for young photographers and a laboratory of contemporary creativity, the festival occupies a specific place in the French and international photography, and attracts a constantly growing audience. It is now one of the inevitable photo events in Paris!
DISCOVERING TODAY’S AND TOMORROW’S TALENTS
The programme is based on the jury’s selection of 30 artists who entered the international call for applications (between 800 and 1000 applications received every year). Then about 15 artists are invited, as well as a European gallery and a European school of photography. For the first time, the Circulation(s) festival is glad to be part of the French Institute 2019 cultural season that honours Romania, and invites 4 young Romanian artists to be exposed during the exposition.
2019 NOVELTY: THE RED EYE COLLECTIVE IN CHARGE OF THE ARTISTIC DIRECTION
For the first time in 2019, François Cheval and Audrey Hoareau from The Red Eye are in charge of the artistic direction. In line with the spirit of the festival and in collaboration with the coordination team and the volunteers, the collective wants to give a fresh impetus and new perpectives on the new generation of artists.
Further information about The Red Eye can be found here.
Since 2014, the festival takes place at the Centquatre-Paris, a place dedicated to artists residencies and to the production of pieces of art from all over the world. The Centquatre-Paris is thought out as a shelter for cultural and artistic aesthetics. A part of the festival is located in the free space of Halle Aubervilliers, enabling any visitor to have a look at Circulation(s), even when the rooms are closed. The 500 000 dancers, jugglers, actors and onlookers gather and mix and create an exceptional dynamic. Circulation(s) becomes a place for sharing where generations and cultures coexist.
TOURS THAT PROMOTE CREATION AND THE EUROPEAN INFLUENCE OF FRANCE
Every year, the festival strengthens its European network through its partnerships with festivals that screen Circulation(s) artists:
– Belfast Foto Festival (Irlande) ;
– BIP – Biennale de l’image possible, Liège (Belgique) ;
– Emerging Talents, Rome (Italie) ;
– Fotografia Europea, Reggio Emilia (Italie) ;
– Lódz Fotofestiwal (Pologne).
In France, Circulation(s) has been presented in Centre Culturel André Malraux, Herblay, Val-d’Oise, and during Voyage à Nantes, Loire Atlantique.
Circulation(s) gathers a unique network composed of professionals who are ready for concrete action in favour of the promotion of European photographic production.
OUTDOOR EXHIBITIONS THAT EXTEND THE FESTIVAL
Every year, a selection of artists is also exhibited in outdoor exhibitions, in places dedicated to art as well as in public places:
– TER’LA / Circulation(s) exhibition at TEAT Champ Fleuri, La Réunion (France);
– Hôtel Fontfreyde – Centre Photographique de Clermont-Ferrand (France) ;
– Photobiennale, Moscow (Russia) ;
– Visages d’un village, Varengeville-sur-Mer (France);
– Gares & Connexions, Paris (France) ;
– La RATP invite, Paris (France);
– Circulation(s) @Shanghaï (China).
MEETINGS THAT FAVOUR SHARING AND TRANSMISSION
The festival organises events linked to photography in order to link photographers, professionals and the general public:
– Portfolio reviews;
– Photo studios ;
– Week ends entirely dedicated to the professionals of the photo world.
STRONG VALUES AT THE BASIS OF THE FESTIVAL
The Circulation(s) festival has always been structured by fondamental values that make it stand out from the other Parisian and French institutions, and put it as close as possible to creation and photo enthusiasts:
- Freedom of expression: there are no imposed theme or format; only the quality the photographic approach matters;
- Audacity and innovation: the festival conveys the expression of emerging European photography – the key words of the programme are to present new thoughts about photography;
- Transmission: the festival’s ambition is to break down the barriers of the access to culture;
- Emotions: each artist exposed during the festival has a specific vision they share with the visitors so as to create surprise, amazement and emotion.
A MEDIATION PROJECT TOWARD YOUNG AUDIENCES
In line with its ambition to promote image education, the Circulation(s) festival is committed to a mediation project toward young audiences. In collaboration with the mediation team of the Centquatre-Paris, the festival welcomes youngsters coming from kindergarten to university.
In 2015, Circulation(s) decided to go further in this approach, and created Little Circulation(s), an exhibition dedicated to children. This exhibition is entirely thought for children. It presents the artists of the main exhibition with a scenography suitable for the youngest visitors. The educational tour has been conceived in order to develop the competences of the children regarding observation, analysis, expression and critical thinking.