The Circulation(s) festival was launched by Fetart, an association created in 2005 that promotes young photographers. About 50 volunteers are gathered around Fetart and the Circulation(s) festival.
Their dynamism and team spirit unveil another face of contemporary art and bring a real dialogue with the public. Both open to all and rigorous, the Circulation(s) festival is about professionalism and passion.
CIRCULATION(S) is the festival dedicated to emerging photography in Europe. Each year, at the Centquatre-Paris and satellite sites in France and abroad, it reveals the vitality of young creation and speaks for the diversity of photographic expressions through unique exhibitions and events. A stepping stone for artists, a prospective and innovative laboratory of contemporary creativity, CIRCULATION(S) has become, over the past 10 years, a must-attend photography event and a trend revelator. Since its inception in 2011, the festival has exhibited over 382 artists and attracted over 300,000 visitors with an ever-growing aspiration to be an approachable event of high standards. The tenth anniversary edition will take place from 14 March to 10 May 2020.
This special edition will present: 300 artworks, 45 artists, 39 projects, 16 nationalities, performances, events and surprises over 2,000 m2 of exhibition space.
DISCOVERING TODAY’S AND TOMORROW’S TALENTS
The programme is based on the jury’s selection of 30 artists who entered the international call for applications (between 800 and 1000 applications received every year). Then about 15 artists are invited, as well as a European gallery and a European school of photography.
2020 ARTISTIC DIRECTION
This year, Audrey Hoareau, an independent curator, has been appointed as the art director to work in close collaboration with the CIRCULATION(S) art committee.
Located in the 19th arrondissement, the CENTQUATRE-PARIS is a space for residencies, production and promotion for the public and artists from all over the world. Conceived by its director José-Manuel Gonçalvès as a collaborative artistic platform, it enables access to all of today’s arts, through a programme that is resolutely popular, contemporary and challenging. As an atypical living area lined with shops, it also offers spaces for free artistic practice and spaces for infants. For the start-ups that are part of its business accelerator, it forms a unique territory for experimentation, at the crossroads of art and innovation.
TOURS THAT PROMOTE CREATION AND THE EUROPEAN INFLUENCE OF FRANCE
Every year, the festival strengthens its European network through its partnerships with festivals that screen Circulation(s) artists:
– Belfast Foto Festival (Irlande) ;
– BIP – Biennale de l’image possible, Liège (Belgique) ;
– Emerging Talents, Rome (Italie) ;
– Fotografia Europea, Reggio Emilia (Italie) ;
– Lódz Fotofestiwal (Pologne).
In France, Circulation(s) has been presented in Centre Culturel André Malraux, Herblay, Val-d’Oise, and during Voyage à Nantes, Loire Atlantique.
Circulation(s) gathers a unique network composed of professionals who are ready for concrete action in favour of the promotion of European photographic production.
OUTDOOR EXHIBITIONS THAT EXTEND THE FESTIVAL
Every year, a selection of artists is also exhibited in outdoor exhibitions, in places dedicated to art as well as in public places:
– TER’LA / Circulation(s) exhibition at TEAT Champ Fleuri, La Réunion (France);
– Hôtel Fontfreyde – Centre Photographique de Clermont-Ferrand (France) ;
– Photobiennale, Moscow (Russia) ;
– Visages d’un village, Varengeville-sur-Mer (France);
– Gares & Connexions, Paris (France) ;
– La RATP invite, Paris (France);
– Circulation(s) @Shanghaï (China).
MEETINGS THAT FAVOUR SHARING AND TRANSMISSION
The festival organises events linked to photography in order to link photographers, professionals and the general public:
– Portfolio reviews;
– Photo studios ;
– Week ends entirely dedicated to the professionals of the photo world.
STRONG VALUES AT THE BASIS OF THE FESTIVAL
The Circulation(s) festival has always been structured by fondamental values that make it stand out from the other Parisian and French institutions, and put it as close as possible to creation and photo enthusiasts:
- Freedom of expression: there are no imposed theme or format; only the quality the photographic approach matters;
- Audacity and innovation: the festival conveys the expression of emerging European photography – the key words of the programme are to present new thoughts about photography;
- Transmission: the festival’s ambition is to break down the barriers of the access to culture;
- Emotions: each artist exposed during the festival has a specific vision they share with the visitors so as to create surprise, amazement and emotion.
A MEDIATION PROJECT TOWARD YOUNG AUDIENCES
In line with its ambition to promote image education, the Circulation(s) festival is committed to a mediation project toward young audiences. In collaboration with the mediation team of the Centquatre-Paris, the festival welcomes youngsters coming from kindergarten to university.
In 2015, Circulation(s) decided to go further in this approach, and created Little Circulation(s), an exhibition dedicated to children. This exhibition is entirely thought for children. It presents the artists of the main exhibition with a scenography suitable for the youngest visitors. The educational tour has been conceived in order to develop the competences of the children regarding observation, analysis, expression and critical thinking.